Thursday, October 17, 2013

Fall & Homeschool

This week, Fall has finally come to North Texas. It's been wonderful. Add my little man's birthday in, 2 days straight of rain and you have a nice relaxing week. At least, this time. We were out all day Monday for birthday celebrations, but the rest of the week we've had off. That's right, off. No school. No softball. No fields to chalk. 

Okay, so we did have softball practice tonight. But 4 days straight without it before hand. Again, I do love watching my girls play. And I actually missed being out there. A little. But I chose to enjoy the time off and we all relaxed.

What about no school? Well, let's just say all these days straight and weekends in a row of tournaments took my house to a level I could no longer stand. So in between relaxing, we've been doing some serious cleaning this week. Including breaking out the cold weather clothes! But this is Texas... We can't exactly put away the warm weather clothes anytime soon.

As for school, it can wait. If your kids go to public school, do me a favor and don't tell mine when they get out for the summer. My husband and I tend to differ on our opinions of homeschooling when it comes to summer. I want to use everyday as a learning opportunity, and just take a week off here and there. He insists the kids get a typical summer. This past year we went about 3 weeks longer than most public schools. I guess that was our compromise. This year, we will at least do the same. Between this week off, and my husband's upcoming surgery- we're going to need more time for sure! 

After surgery, he is supposed to be laid up for at least 2 weeks, and is very much planning to play and beat several video games during that time. With the kids. And me. Starting with the new Mario 3D for the Wii U that just happens to come out 3 days after his surgery. Just in time for him to hopefully be feeling up to getting out of bed and moving to the couch to play. 

All this just makes me want to shout, "I love homeschooling!". Seriously. Just another wonderful reason to love it. And that's not even the big reason I'm feeling right now.

I don't have to worry about taking a day or 2 off work, or having to go back to work before he's ready. I get to stay home and take care of him. And no matter how cranky or whiny he may get- it's such a blessing to know I will be able to be there for him. 

And not just me. Our kids too. Now, I'm sure there will be a moment (or 10, or 100), in which they are sent to a bedroom to read for a while so he can rest- they will also be there to help, and to learn. Life lessons. I pray they do, and I set a good example. 

And also, that there are a couple good movies out at the dollar movie during those 2 weeks. Because I'm sure he's going to kick us all out at least once (and I'm sure we'd welcome a little break)! 


No comments:

Post a Comment